2016. I think with most people, when they hear the year 2016 there’s a massive rush of emotion. From mass shootings, police violence, election year scandals, to a surprisingly large number of childhood icons we’ve lost, it’s probably safe to say that we could all use a break in the next year.
While I can easily focus on the entire negative that happened, I decided it would be best for us all if I concentrated on some of the good, both personally and worldly.
- I had a spectacular first garlic and sweet potato harvest.
- I got myself a job outside my house. This is the first time in 7 years I’ve worked at a paycheck job, and I’m really excited about it.
- My family took our annual trip to my husband’s family reunion in SE Oklahoma then on to Dallas. We visited the Perot Museum of Natural Sciences and it was fascinating.
- I got to take an epic road trip, just my son and me, through 4 states this summer. I could not have had a better time. We even picked up a new hobby of geocaching.
- My husband and I took a drive to Tulsa and saw Coldplay.
- I took my kids to the Great Salt Plains where we dug for rare hourglass selenite crystals.
- I’ve gotten back into the groove of reading novels regularly. I’m pretty proud of how many I’ve finished in the last year.
- Captain America: Civil War, Zootopia, and Deadpool. Awesome movies.
- Pokemon Go, while a short lived phenomenon, was fun while it lasted. I especially enjoyed playing with my husband and son.
- Giant Pandas have been taken off the endangered species list. The numbers of manatees and some tiger and rhino species are increasing as well.
- The survival rates of melanoma and pancreatic cancer patients have increased dramatically.
In thinking about the positive happenings from the last year, I’m inspired to start a journal just to jot down the good that surrounds me day to day. I had to think too hard to come up with examples when I know I’ve had many days of joy in 2016. I hope this inspires the rest of you to think of all of the good that surrounds you as well.